Arguably, one of the most complicated aspects of moving is having to say goodbye to your good friends, neighbors, and coworkers. Relocating to another part of the country or even moving to another country often turns out to be a bittersweet experience, you might be thrilled and impatient to start the new chapter in your life but parting with the people you love and care about is always going to be hard.
Before you pack up and move away, one great way to say goodbye to each special person around you is to throw a going away party. That way, you will get the perfect opportunity to see your good friends one more time, to tell them how much they mean to you, exchange contact information, and to assure them that you will do your best to keep in touch. Here are 3 tips for throwing a moving away party before the move.
Decide when, where and with who
Throwing a moving away party is all about planning, if you manage to plan your going away party well, then its success is almost guaranteed. Basically, the very first step to hosting a successful moving away party is to solve the following three things the date, the location, and the guest list.
- The Date: Moving away parties take place just a few days before the actual relocation, or in other words, as close to the move as possible. Of course, there are no set rules, and you can decide on a much earlier date for your going away party. It all depends on whether you think you will be able to finish the moving preparations ahead of schedule or you will have to do some crazy last-minute packing or work on other move-related tasks right up until the last moment.
- The Location: Your first thought will probably be to throw your own moving away party at your house, and that’s fine. Unless, of course, your apartment or house is going to be too messy, cluttered and disorganized for your guests to feel reasonably comfortable and be able to relax. If you decide that the home you are about to leave is not the ideal setting for a going away party, you still have good options to select from a favorite bar or a trendy restaurant, or even a good friend’s house if he or she doesn’t mind hosting the goodbye party.
- The Guest List: Here comes the most important decision when organizing the party, and that is who to invite. Review your guest list very carefully before sending out the invitations, after all, and you want to see your dearest and nearest friends for the last time and have fun before you move away. It is entirely up to you whether you will invite just a few really close friends or all your Facebook friends. Whatever you decide, just limit your invitations to the people you care about simply because you will want your farewell party to be as special and memorable as possible.
Send out the invitations
After you have taken care of the three main points of throwing a goodbye party when moving out, it is time for the next step, sending out the invitations to the people from your guest list. There are three important things to remember during this key phase of organizing the moving away party.
- Do it early: If you can, send out your invitations around two or three weeks before to the party so that you can minimize the disruption of your friends own plans and take full advantage of the number of people coming.
- Paper or digital: If you choose to use paper invitations and you have enough time and artistic inspiration, you might wish to get creative and design your invitations. You can be sure that your friends will appreciate the personal touch. Or you might go with digital invitations, the faster and easier way to invite your circle of co-workers, friends, and neighbors for a final get-together.
- Request confirmation: Remember that your moving away party is not in any way a surprise party. Ultimately, it is important for you to have the exact number of guests so that you can prepare better for the event. After all, having fifteen or thirty guests can make a huge difference in how you go about planning and organizing your farewell party before moving. Kindly ask the people you invited to RSVP.
Make it memorable
Now it’s time to prepare for the occasion. It is no secret that it is the little things that will make your party fun, emotional and memorable. The following brief checklist will help you to get ready for the party.
- Decide on a theme: You do not have to do it, but your farewell party will be a lot more fun if you do. For example, if you are moving to Texas, you might choose to plan a Wild West party theme. Or you can just make it a fancy dress party where all the guests can show up in a fun costume that they like.
- Activities: Do something memorable, so that you can keep those fun memories for later when you will be far from your closest dearest friends. One idea is to rent karaoke equipment from the local music store and have fun singing all kinds of songs with your buddies. Another fun idea is to create a memory box, where you get a show box, let each guest write their favorite memory with you on a piece of paper, and then gather all the pieces into the box. You can then read the memories out loud or keep them and read them later on your own.
- Write a farewell speech: You can prepare your speech in advance or rely on your improvisational skills. Either way, do not forget to assure your dear friends how much you value their friendship and tell them how much you are going to miss them after you move.
- Promise to keep in touch: Yes, you are gathering your friends to spend some quality time with them and have as much fun as possible for one last time, but the fact that you are moving away and will not see them for some time will surely bring sadness and possible tears to the party. And that is fine. Make sure that you give them your new address and promise each other to keep in touch. Also, consider inviting your closest friends to visit you at your new home.
Now that you have read these 3 tips for throwing a moving away party we hope that you have a lot of fun with your friends and get to say all your goodbyes. If you are looking for a dependable moving company to help you with your move, then look no further than Long Distance Moving Experts as we are an experienced moving company that can help you whether you are moving to and from anywhere in the nation. Get in touch with our representatives or visit our website to get a free moving quote and to schedule your move.
We look forward to helping you move.
Check out our other blog posts!
- Frequent Moving Mistakes and How to Avoid Them
- Tips to make the moving day stress free
- Office Relocation Tips
- Moving Tips for Seniors on the Move